I Got the Call —

David Loofbourrow

I Got the Call —

(from CaringBridge 2018)

This is exciting news! 

Today, as I was preparing to visit my GP, I got the long-awaited call from CPMC - to schedule my first appointment with the San Francisco Liver Clinic. Even more thrilling is there was a cancelation for TOMORROW -- Wednesday -- that is TWO WEEKS SOONER than they could schedule it otherwise.

I SAID YES! (ok, not exactly a proposal - but I'm almost as excited!) 1:30 pm!

It meant scrambling to get to the City - a three hour + drive - making quick arrangements for Dad and still squeeze in the previously scheduled GP appointment for flu and pneumonia shots. When I got to Auburn for the appointment, Dr. Sobel had received communication from the S.F. medical team that, since I was seeing him anyway, could he just arrange one more little CT-scan, please?

Dr. S pulled strings and sent me off for a 4:30 over to the hospital. In the excitement, we almost forgot the shots! I felt like a V.I.P. as I was whisked down to Radiology (and an old pro since this was my 2nd scan in a week). However, the tech insisted I drink 24 oz of water before the test (oh, sweet lordy - it's yet another dose of dye!) and wait another 1/2 hour before I got the I.V., injection, and scan. ALSO, because it was a last minute deal, Dr. S insisted I ask for a CD/disc of the scan data - just in case the pictures didn't get uploaded in time for my S.F. appointment tomorrow. Of course, that took another 20 minutes.

Now I am in the middle of commute hour facing the sunset, so I decide to have supper at my favorite place, Sierra Grille. The place was packed. I had to wait for a table a little bit, and it took an extra while to get the food. I wasn't on the road until well after 7:30. Then, I notice as I pull onto highway 49 that my "low tire pressure" light is on, plus I have to get gas. It takes 3 stops at gas stations to find one with an air pump - wasting another hour. Remember I have been hydrating to wash out the damn dye...

I'm pleased to report I safely arrived in Fremont (Bay Area) at 11 pm. I'm not sure I will quickly fall asleep as the anticipation of tomorrow's meeting dances in my brain. I was told that this CONSULTATION will be with a surgeon first and after that, a hepatologist, who will at last lay out what my treatment options are, their recommendations, and request my decision.

I could use that super power about now, ok?

Visualize a calm and safe trip to and through San Francisco, imagine the BEST POSSIBLE options and pray for wisdom in my choices. 

Previous Article Coming Out (again?)
Next Article My Big Day of Liver
Please login or register to post comments.